Initially located on the inner side of the south façade of the transept of Notre-Dame in Paris, Adam, probably sculpted by Pierre de Montreuil in the mid-13th century, was accompanied by an Eve who no longer remains. It was moved after the Revolution and entered the Musée de Cluny in 1887.
This two-meter-tall masterpiece of Gothic sculpture is rare in its representation of the nude, inspired by the esthetic canons of antiquity.
When it was restored (the arms and legs had been broken during the 19th century), the piece of fruit that Adam may have been holding in his right hand was replaced by the gesture of blessing that he appears about to perform today.
From Notre-Dame in Paris, inner side of the south façade of the transept.
Granted to the museum in 1887.
Inventory no.: Cl. 11657
Height: 200 cm
Width: 73 cm
Depth: 41 cm
Place of production: Paris
Destination: Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris
Period: 3rd quarter of the 13th century
Techniques: decorative architecture; statue; façade; sculpture, ronde-bosse